Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Forever Halloween: A Review

I haven't written an actual, legitimate album review before. I have never really felt the need to. It's usually just a quick "hey this is fantastic go buy it you can thank me later here is a list of other artists they sort of sound like" at the end of another post, but I couldn't stop myself from writing a sort-of-review for The Maine's new album, Forever Halloween.

The new album feels very personal. It threw me off at first, because I try not to snoop on a band's personal life. If they want me to know something personal, they'll let me know some how. This is their way of doing that. I was really worried. I knew before I ever got the album in my hands that it would be personal from reading various interviews the group has done recently. Shedding your skin, being personal with your audience can backfire, and it really worried me. After their last album, Pioneer, broke free how could anything else compare? It's kind of like thinking you know someone and the one day they break down this wall that you had felt but never seen and you see this other side of them.

Official Website
Check below for an interview, where to buy, and tour dates!

It will put a lot of people off, but it will also bring in a lot of new people. There isn't a single song that didn't hit me in the feels. The song "Fucked Up Kids" struck me more than the others. It describes me so perfectly, and no other song by any other artist has ever done that.
Even if you don't connect with the lyrics, the melodies, drum beats, and guitar riffs will snag you and drag you down into the depths. The last full minute of the album's title track had me with my hands in the air like I was praising Jesus in a holy roller, Southern baptist church.

Of course it's being compared to their previous albums and I'm not the only one who was concerned. Many fans have said it's good but it just didn't WOW them like Pioneer and some feel like The Maine has reverted back to their Black & White days. I beg to differ.


  • First, no other album will WOW you like Pioneer did. They will never be in that situation again. It got a lot of attention because they had just broken away from their record label, it was their first album that was really on their own, and people were curious. That situation fueled a lot of the angst behind the album and helped prove it's place in the rock world. This album WOWs in other ways (this album was recorded live, on tape. No one does that anymore, WHY ARE YOU NOT IN AWE?!).
  • Second, this isn't the power pop record Black & White felt like. This album puts out a distinct vibe, not unlike their other songs but different enough to know they're growing up. It feels very...alternative? I could feel influences like Ryan Adams and Brenden Benson (who helped with the recording process) flow through.
But in order for some people to love it, other must hate it and the criticism will tumble forth from the interwebs. But most of all, The Maine seems happy with this album. They seem happy with and proud of what they have produced, and that's something to pay attention to. That's like dumping the whole jar of rainbow sprinkles on my ice cream cake. 

It shows that they're still growing and that's the best thing of an artist. Maybe they don't quite know who they are yet, but that isn't something to hold against them. I have yet to meet a single person, of any age, who knows who they are. I've met a lot of pretenders, but never someone who could, at the end of the day, say who they were with confidence. They are human and this record shows us that. 

They have delivered unto us a record worth our money, our pleasure, and our soul. 
The Maine has done an incredible job and, personally, I can't thank them enough for this album. 





No comments:

Post a Comment