Monday, July 8, 2013

Music Monday: FALL OUT BOY.

{I'm still working on those posts about mental health, but the amount of information I'm wading through is extensive. Article after article is full of information and some of it is from not-so-reliable sources. It's taking me longer than I thought, but I promise they'll be here soon.}

I've been absent due to travels. After our short stay in South Carolina, we headed north to Indiana to see my beautiful sister, her grill-master boyfriend and their adorable-as-fuck puppy. While seeing them was AMAZING, it wasn't quite as good as seeing Fall Out Boy live in Indianapolis.


The energy was astounding. I've been to my fair share of concerts, but I had never been to a concert this intense. We were next to an incredibly nice couple in their late thirties or early forties. They were bikers and I was scared until he started talking to my twin sister, and I realized he was probably one of the nicest people there. So, I head banged with a forty year old biker to Fall Out Boy.

About a quarter of the way through their set, however, my sister started to feel dizzy. We rushed her out of the main room and into the hall where she could sit. The staff was incredibly fast at getting her water and the girl working the merch table came to check on her. We remained here until the end of the show, and it was just as incredible out in the hall. We could actually see too! {and, if you're wondering, my sister's doing fine! she was just a little dehydrated. we're making plans to keep her hydrated for our next concert in Atlanta}

With concerts, comes new music (usually). This time, we had the pleasure of listening to The Unlikely Candidates.
Admittedly, I was concerned. Sometimes, the opening bands are barely better than me (and I sound like a slightly on-key seal). But these guys surprised me. Their rendition of House of the Rising Sun was the best cover I've ever heard. After arriving home, I bought the only two songs they have on iTunes, Howl and Follow My Feet. If you have a spare $1.99, spring for their EP and I promise you, it will be the best two dollars you've ever spent.

There's been a lot of talk about FOB's new album, and when I say "talk" I really mean hate. The most common complaint I hear is that they aren't "saving rock and roll". While they may not, technically, be rock and roll, I think it's important to realize that they are, in fact, doing something for music. For once, turning on the radio hasn't been dull. To know that a band I love with abandon is actually on the radio is amazing. They have raised the bar for other artists in all genres because no one is paying attention. Fall Out Boy is being played on every station short of the country stations.

The next complaint is that it's not the old Fall Out Boy. Well, of course not. In four years do you expect them to stay the same? I'm not the same person I was in sixth grade when I started listening to them and they have done their fair amount of growing up as well. Their new album has a new sound, but if it didn't I would be severely disappointed. This goes for all bands. All bands are allowed to be human. They are allowed to grow and experiment and change as individuals and as a band. How boring would it be if a band produced songs that sounded the same album after album? Sure, Taylor Swift sells a lot of albums but it's not compelling and exciting as it was on her first album.

Please, keep an open mind when listening to new music. If I hadn't I would not listen to half the music I listen to today and I like to think that I've been a better person for it. Open minds are wonderful things.

I'm laying low until July 13th, when I head to Atlanta with two of my sisters and my best friend to see the 8123 Tour at The Loft, featuring The Maine, Brighten, A Rocket To The Moon, and This Century.

Love & Good Tunes

***
Current Favorite Albums:
Peace & Quiet - Brighten
Follow My Feet - The Unlikely Candidates
Post-Heroic - Surrogate
Forever Halloween - The Maine
Prepare For Black And Blue - The White Buffalo



No comments:

Post a Comment