Friday, July 5, 2013

Kind Words from a Gentle Heart

I have this friend named Julie. She's one of my best friends and I think you would like her, most people do. 

We went to high school together and were acquaintances. We traveled in the same group, but never got to know each other. At the end of our senior year, she asked me to be her roommate (we were going to the same university) but I had already made plans to room with my at-the-time best friend, Lauren. We agreed to hang out every once in a while so we wouldn't be completely lonely. 

After we both had horrendous, awful, up-at-two-in-the-morning-crying roommate experiences, Julie found herself in need of a roommate and I found myself in need of a place to go. So I became her new roommate freshman year. She'll be in my wedding party when I finally find my man. 

Julie has a habit of saying incredibly nice things about people. She doesn't do it to be nice, she just speaks honestly and it some how has a habit of affecting you more than you think. 

We were at lunch one day, and a song came on in the restaurant and I began to sing. Now, I have the voice of a slightly on-key seal on a good day. I joked about my ability and she said, in all seriousness, "But you sing anyway. You know how you sound and other people tell you how bad you are at singing, but you sing anyway. And that's incredible. That shows more about you than anything else". 

See. Incredibly honest, profound, and just Julie. 

I never forgot that. It's been nearly two years since those words were said to me and I'm sure she has no memory of saying them. It's become my mantra, "Sing Anyway". In so many instances in life, we are told that we don't have what it takes or that we aren't worth the effort. And that's bullshit. Because we are worth it. We are worth every bit of time and effort. We have what it takes to do whatever it is we want to do. There will always be the person behind you saying you can't, but they're behind you. They're scared of what you can do so they put you down. Despite what they say, keep singing. Keep going forward. This is your life and this is your one shot. 

Those words also serve as a reminder to be gentle. Words have a way of sticking and what you say has an impact. Hate culture is so strong and it breaks my heart. How hard is it to simply promote what you love and simply let go of what you do not? Why do we find that so much harder? 

This month, try to only focus on what you love. If  you don't like that YouTube video, don't watch it again and leave the comments alone. If you don't like that drawing, keep scrolling and let it slip your mind. If you love that song, turn it up and tweet it. If you love that book, read it again and recommend it to a friend. 

And if you're being put down, just keep singing. Being who you are is far more important than what people say. 

***
Fun Fact: When the Ellen DeGeneres Show puts videos on YouTube, the only enable comments on clips of adults. Clips of kids and children have comments disabled to protect them from the harsh words of society. How awesome is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment