Friday, January 2, 2015

2015. Sorry. Again.

Well, I think we can all agree that I absolutely suck at this whole blog thing. 

I hope that 2014 left you healthy and happy, as it did for me. I also hope that 2015 brings you all that you strive for and you prosper in all that you attempt. 

My main resolution is the old, "do no harm but take no shit". I strive to be kinder, more giving, and more honest in the new year, but I also refuse to back down from adversity and revolution. There is a lot happening in the world and I will be on the side of equality. 

Additionally, I have set the goal to finish all projects before starting a new one and to read more. I read for school, but I have lost my love for reading for fun. Maybe lost is not quite the word, as I still love to read however when faced with the decision of reading or knitting, I always choose knitting (which comes along with Netflix or a good Harry Potter marathon). 

To help with the reading, I pledged to read 50 books in 2015 over on Goodreads and I'm using the Popsugar Reading Challenge to pick those books!

I'll add my books to Goodreads as I choose them and will update the status as I finish. The Goodreads challenge is based on number, which all well and good, but Goodreads doesn't know me very well. When faced with choosing what to read, I get nervous and then usually don't pick a book at all in fear of choosing the wrong one. That's where the Popsugar Challenge comes in. They have listed 50 individual criteria for which books you should read. For example, "a book from your childhood" and "a book you were supposed to read in school but didn't". I still have lots of options for each criteria, but not so many that I can't make a hard decision. 

To begin, I'm reading Wittgenstein, JR by Lars Iyer. It will fulfill either the "a book by an author you've never read before" or the "a book set in a different country" category, depending on how I feel about it later. 

Why Wittgenstein, Jr? 
Well. Because I had a love affair with Wittgenstein and I wasn't quite ready to let go. As part of my final set of required classes, I had to take PAR 393, whose subject changes depending on the professor. I got stuck studying Ludwig Wittgenstein, a philosopher who I was certain to hate. But after a lot of work and 6-hour study groups, I walked away with a B+ and favorite philosopher. When you become a philosophy/religion major, you always hear that "you'll find that one class that just changes everything for you". I'm getting ready to graduate and just now found that one class. So why not read a book about a young group of students at Cambridge University who aim to impress their newest lecturer (nicknamed Wittgenstein Jr for his remarkable likeness in attitude and thought to the one true Ludwig) with a single, noble thought. 

Perfect. 

As I read, I will update here with reviews and new books. I also aim to put my crafts and thoughts here, as well life updates. I graduate on May 9th, if all goes well, and after that who knows! But when I know, you'll know. 

If you so choose, you can follow me on
Goodreads
Tumblr
Instagram

All the best to you and yours. 

***
Now Playing: 
Hozier
Drew Holcombe & The Neighbors
Ryan Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment