Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Handle The Heat's Rosemary Cheese Bread

Gah, I love carbs.
  They're just so....good. Pasta, bread, and potatoes are my favorite things (other than cheese and chocolate). My heaven would be made of bread with bottomless fondue. Tell me that doesn't sound amazing.

So OF COURSE I jumped at the chance to make this delicious loaf. It has a fantastic flavor, and I don't even like whole wheat OR rosemary.

The "white bread" part is scrumptious. Why has it taken me so long to realize that black pepper is the perfect addition to cheese bread? I've made garlicky cheese biscuits for years and I'm definitely adding a substantial amount of cracked black pepper to the batter.



Just look at the cheese seeping up through the crust. You can even see the little specks of black pepper. There's a bit of cayenne pepper as well and it adds a completely different heat than the black pepper. It isn't spicy though. It sort of...melds? Just eat the bread. It's delicious. 



 
I was afraid it would stick (mostly because I don't have the best track record with cakes and breads releasing from their pans), but it slid out just like it was meant to. I even broke out the cooling rack and everything. That's how good it is: I actually followed directions. Okay, so I mostly followed directions. 

If you're on Pinterest, you may have seen the posts about the "Valentine's Day Pound Cake" where the baker, in a stroke of genius, made a pink pound cake, baked it, then cut into slices and cutting out shapes then put it back in the loaf pan with normal pound cake batter and baked it? I attempted that with this recipe, instead of swirling it like you're supposed to. 



Yeah, that didn't work out too well. That brown blob of rosemary goodness? It should be a flower. It tastes like it was baked in God's personal oven, but it looks like a two year old's ball of Playdough. The rosemary batter didn't rise as much as I expected, but I think that may be because (a) my wheat flour is a little old and (b) I got lazy and didn't measure out the full tablespoon of baking powder. 

This isn't the only delicious recipe over on Handle The Heat either! Her site is full of wonderful flavors, both savory and sweet. She's also just published a cookbook! It's all bout ice cream sandwiches, and let's face it: who DOESN'T love a good ice cream sandwich? 

No comments:

Post a Comment