Friday, May 31, 2013

Penny: The Robot

Remember that project I told you I was working on at the end of my DIY post? Well, I'm about to reveal to you the most awesome creation I have ever put together in my whole entire life! But first, a little background. I'm sure that you've noticed by now I LOVE PINTEREST. I have thousands of pins and most of them are crafts. My mom taught me to crochet when I was a wee little lass (i.e. nine years old). I forgot about it for a while because making scarves gets boring and yarn was expensive for a kid with no income.

Then I started crocheting again in high school when I saw a few other people were learning how to knit. Picking up a hook again was just like learning to ride a bike, you never forget. I had to do a few refresher YouTube videos and asked my mom tons of dumb questions, but I got back to it. Then, I was looking for patterns (free of course, my income hadn't changed much) and found the world of amigurumi.

The Pinterest Inspiration
I still don't know how to pronounce it, but I learned all about it (from Wikipedia). It's the Japanese art of crocheting or knitting small stuffed animals or anthropomorphic creatures. It went beyond just the scarves and gloves that everyone was tired or receiving (even though no one would say it). Plus, who doesn't love stuffed animals?! I MEAN COME ON! They're so cute!

So I came across this on Pinterest and knew I had to make it! Problem number one: it's a sewing project. I may have taken apparel development (one AND two) in high school, but that doesn't actually mean I can sew anything. Problem number two: there was no pattern for either a crochet one or a sewn one, so I would have to do it all on my own. I had never done that before. So I added the picture to my pile of "things to attempt at one point because you're too much of a scaredy cat to do it now" folder. I forgot about it for a while, like...three months. Then I was cleaning out my computer (pictures pile up) and found it again. After staring at it for a few minutes, I decided to give it ago.

And now...I give you...RP743! or, as her friends call her, Penny!




Not bad? She's made entirely of acrylic yarn (Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice in charcoal grey), stuffed with polyester fiber fill, and a handmade glitter bow. In all, she took about three days to make. There are a handful of changes I want to make on the next, which is in progress. Her eyes were handmade by a wonderful lady on Etsy and guess what?! 
THEY GLOW IN THE DARK. How cool is that?! You can buy them over at Designs by Devlin on Etsy. There are lots of colors and sizes and of course they all glow in the dark! I'm currently working up a full biography for Penny that will come with her when I get her set up in my Etsy shop. It will be a while because I want her bio to be perfect and a direct reflection of who I imagine her to be and because I'll be away on vacation this coming week. 

I hope you love her as much as I do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment