Monday, February 18, 2013

Music Monday: Openers

A lot of people skip the opening bands. Not going to lie, sometimes they really do suck.
You want to just rip your hair out, stuff your ears with porcupines and wallow in self-loathing for forcing yourself to sit through it.

Then, sometimes, those first bands are the shit.
You hear them and you wonder what you've been doing with your life and how you've managed to live so long without them.

That happens to me a lot. That's how I found A Rocket to the Moon and The Postelles.
It happened again on Saturday.
I found Nico Vega and Atlas Genius.

Nico Vega

Nico Vega

These guys. Aja, the front woman and part-time rock and roll gymnast, started out on the drums. Then drummer Dan, guitarist Rich, and bassist Jamila took their places and literally rocked our pants off (literally. We were right next to the speakers and I really should have worn a belt). 

I don't know the full set list, but believe me, these guys can make my psychology book sound bad ass. To top it off, not only are they good musicians, they're good people. Conversations were easy and enthusiasm oozed from every word. I snagged a copy of their EP Fury oh Fury. That was the best $5 I have ever spent at a concert (and I've bought more than my fair share of $5 EPs). 

Atlas Genius

They came out in suits. Front man and guitarist Keith wore a fedora. His brothers Mike and Steven took up drums and bass (respectively) and their BFF Darren rocked that keyboard. These Aussies are over-taking North America. Just have a look at Tumblr. 

Every girl in the sold out venue melted (or, as some would say, our ovaries exploded) when these four walked out and started up. Their Indie-rock sound fused auspiciously with today's need for modern electro. Luckily for you, their new album drops February 18th. Like Nico Vega, these guys are genuine. Meeting Keith and Mike afterwards was wonderful. There was not one awkward moment and they were more than happy to sign the shard of drumstick I caught. 

Keith, Atlas Genius

And these were just the opening bands. Just imagine what the headliners, Imagine Dragons was like. (full post on Imagine Dragons coming soon!)





No comments:

Post a Comment