Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pickles Are So Summer


"Pickles are so summer." 

    -John O'Callagan


That is, perhaps, one of the stupidest tweets I have ever read in my life. It is also one of the truest.  Pickles are quintessentially summer (and I spelled quintessentially right the first time, without Google). Think about it, summer is hot. It is the season of BBQs, cookouts, late nights doing stupid things, celebrations, pool parties, and good friends. And in the midst of all that awesome: pickles. We put them on burgers (hamburger dills, my favorite), on our hot dogs, in our potato salad, and sometimes we just eat them out of the jar using our fingers (don't tell my dad).
But only in the summer do we enjoy these slices of sour cucumber-y deliciousness. No one eats pickles in the winter, not even in the fall. “Here, would you like some pickles with Thanksgiving fare, perhaps with your stuffing?” See, that sounds disgusting. Pickles just aren’t right for winter. They were meant for summer, for friends, for BBQs. Some things are meant to be relished (pun intended) at certain times, and pickles, well they’re one of those things.
As I sit here in my dorm room, bundled up in a sweater, cotton socks, and rock out to The Chain Gang of 1974, all I want is to lay in the sun and eat a pickle. All I want is to have to reapply SPF 100 (it exists) to my pale Irish skin and have the sun beat down unbearably while I dip into a pickle jar.
But alas! I have a journal article to review and summarize for my psychology course and a religions test to study for. 


(and if you haven't, check out The Chain Gang of 1974. Your ears will be forever grateful! Find them on Spotify, YouTubeFacebook, and Twitter!)*



*I'm not being paid to tell you to listen to them, honest! I just really want the world to hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment