Thursday, February 28, 2013

Throw Back Thursday?

There's this crazy dumb trend called "throw back Thursday". You Instagram pictures from back in the day, but I'm that person who forgets to charge their camera or forgets the actual camera and they have to steal pictures off of their friend's Facebook profile. 

So, I shall participate in this throw back Thursday nonsense with my favorite medium: words. 

Time travel back to...September (?) of 2012 when I saw NEEDTOBREATHE in concert, along with Drew Holcomb, and Parachute

NeedToBreathe

I’ve been to a handful of concerts in my day. Ha, “my day” like I’m old and decrepit. I’m still young (young and useless*). But I can say with 100% certainty that the best concert I have ever been to was NEEDTOBREATHE. The first song they performed was “Washed by the Water” and the entire crowd didn’t stop singing. The members of the band quit playing, but everyone else just kept singing. It was like everyone was in a trance. It was packed. To use an overused cliché, we were packed in there like sardines. It was so hot but no one cared. People danced around the edges of the crowd, some held up their local beer in salute, some swayed back and forth (probably because if one person swayed, the whole group swayed). Every person sang along to every word and we never could hit all the notes. We were all lost.



This is all I could see without standing on my tiptoes and zooming in.



And getting lost in NEEDTOBREATHE, I can’t even begin to describe what it was like. It was like…an out of body experience. It was almost religious. I danced and honestly didn’t care who saw. I couldn’t see anything, trapped in the back beside the light guy. But I danced, I head-banged, I put my hands up like I was praising the Lord in a holy-roller Baptist church. I was absolutely, wonderfully lost in their music. 

I should point out that I was a little emotionally compromised (which is another story for another time), and every song played by Drew Holcomb, Parachute, or NEEDTOBREATHE was exactly what I needed. 

Music is magic. It has so much power and 
trying to explain it is futile. 




No comments:

Post a Comment